I’m an applied scientist at AWS AI Labs.
I earned a Ph.D in Data Science from New York University under the supervision of Sam Bowman and Kyunghyun Cho. My thesis focuses on applying transfer learning methods to NLP problems, and analyzing these methods to understand why and when they work/fail. During my Ph.D, I also spent time at AWS AI Labs, Facebook AI Research, and Grammarly.
Prior to NYU, I developed Information Retrieval systems at Institute of High Performance Computing in Singapore. Before that, I did my bachelor’s degree in Computer Science at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Please check my Google Scholar for an up-to-date list.
- DS-GA 1012: Natural Language Understanding and Computational Semantics, NYU (Spring-2020, Spring-2021)
- Sequence-to-sequence learning Tutorial, African Master’s Program in Machine Intelligence (AMMI) (2020)
- DS-GA 1011: Natural Language Processing with Representation Learning, NYU (Fall-2018)
Service & Outreach
- Reviewer: ARR, NAACL, ACL, EMNLP, KDD, *SEM, ACL-SRW, AACL-SRW.
- Organizer and TA: NYU AI School 2019, 2021, 2022
- Organizer and Mentor: Myanmar NLP Reading Group
I’m originally from Yangon, Myanmar(Burma).
You can call me “Phu” (h sound is silent for both my first and last name). Fun fact: I don’t have a family name.